on Sunday, March 29, 2009

Today I fell into a heated argument with some of my friends over a peculiar issue that I see most often in “Indian Marriage” scenarios in particular. The thing is that in every relation, people often reach a stage where a compromise has to be made if certain common ends are to be realized and most often it is the female partner who is expected to do so. This has been going on since ages. Earlier girls were not independent and use to enter a new world after marriage and a long chain of compromises used to start. They used to do that because there was no other way possible and use to search for a real or fake happiness in this new world only.

But today when I see independent, highly educated girls doing the same, I feel really bad. Suppose a girl is getting married (lets take an arrange marriage here) and that particular girl is in a good job with a good career prospect but in different city or country as compared to her husband. Now who is the one who will leave his/her job, in a large and large majority of cases: my fellow gender will do it. Why? Is marriage a series of compromises for a girl only. Even the same so prominently (though a bit less) happens in love marriages too. Are so deserving and independent girls of today lacking the power to change traditions that are so going against them?

And what is the saddest part of this situation? Most of the girls today also call this only as happiness. I don’t consider them wrong, I in fact admire them that they have so much courage to curb their desires and accept everything new. What is more soothing to our forefathers when girls only are being so submissive? Compromise is not just their duty. Compromises must be shared upon, not just burdened upon females only. And girls of today have the power to get things their way, the way they want to be happy, the way they want to compromise.

I start doubting the institution of marriage when I see this, it really turns me off to be a witness to such marriages.

4 comments:

Vik said...

'Independent' is the keyword here. I think if they're really independent, they wouldn't enter an unfair compromise. But independence in godforsaken Indian society is not just about financial liberty of the individual. The independence

Vik said...

(It got accidently published. I was not finished.)

The real independence would come when the freaking orthodoxy is put into its grave. I think it's happening, but it's slow. Be patient. :)

neha said...

@ Vik
i knw !!

neha said...

@ vik

i knw some-some day it will happen, i also dont deny....
bt i have a limited life to see it :)