on Friday, January 15, 2010

Mean corporate world!!

One thing which I have realised soon enough. Someone rightly said that it’s a dirty world out there once you decide to earn and live independently. Now I see examples daily. Somehow I have started liking not have too personal friends in the closest working zone of mine mainly my own team. I hate when people use sugar coated words in front of seniors or listen to whatever they say just to get into good terms with them. Where is the saying dudes that your work should speak for you. My whole mood gets pissed off here (this is what I encounetred this morning too).

It’s okay to chat or share drinks but yet I find it difficult not to be myself. If I am with my close friends I am not afraid to let out my thoughts which may be contrary to what she/he was saying. But in office, the same changes. I have to be careful because who knows what one can take personally and bring the grudge in official matters too. That is the one reason why I don’t want to indulge too personally with teammates.

The other thing that comes up is working with different age groups. I really like that but I do face some problems too. You will encounter colleagues of your parents’ age too. There are things that we refrain from in from of family elders. But what about in a work groups of ages between 23-50 or more. I don’t drink in front of my parents (bcoz I know they won’t like that). But what in such a group. I don’t want to face weird looks from elderly persons. Again that’s where I feel even more strongly that lets just be official.

I think it all needs time to adjust and define your behaviour. But no doubts life is not simple anymore.

5 comments:

Ravindra said...

I have also observed that collegue and friend are two independent, non overlapping subsets of universe.

Diptanshu said...

Trust me, the two sets can overlap. Ask not for how long. But they do.

Ravindra said...

@Dipu: They do not. They might just appear to, just like during eclipse, sun and moon seem to overlap each other(reference: earth) but you know what happens in reality :)

Unknown said...

i'm sure earlier generations also (our parents for e.g.) encountered generational diversity in the workplace... why then is it such an issue for us to adapt? any perspective? i too have been thinking about it...is it the increasing competition or ? ..

Diptanshu said...

@ ArrrK: As you mentioned earlier, it is your "observation". Considering the possibility that you might not have observed the entire universe of outcomes, your observation can not be taken as a theory and accepted to be true.
Again, the two sets can overlap.